Students Without Borders Info Meeting
Posted on December 19, 2022
SWBA works with students interested in an exciting learning adventure. Step out from behind the desk and spend a full semester building deep friendships while connecting with meaningful learning.
SWBA Informational meeting today, Monday, Dec. 19 @ 730 at the KAL Secondary
Students will complete all requirements for:
- Intro to Spanish or Spanish 11
- Leadership 11 or 12
- Social Justice 12 or Social Studies 11
- Comparative Cultures 12
- English First Peoples Literary Studies 11 or English First Peoples 12 (Satisfying the new Grad requirements)
- THERE ARE NO ONLINE COURSES IN THE PROGRAM – All courses are completed in the classroom with field study supplements.
The following are some of the typical OUT OF CLASSROOM adventures and highlights of the SWBA semester:
- Initiation/Bootcamp at a nearby camp
- Full week hosting of “Out Of Province Kids” with local adventures and leadership retreat (Experiences Canada)
- Weekly connection with local community agencies – becoming community builders
- World-renowned guest speakers through UBC and others
- 5-week field study/odyssey to Panama Central America1-week homestay in a small fishing village
- local artisan lessons
- surfing in the Pacific / Scuba in the Caribbean
- Turtle Hatchery Vigil – Green Sea Turtles
- Primate Rehab ( Howler Monkey) volunteering.
- Coral Reef ecology with Smithsonian Institute
- Coffee/Chocolate/Banana Fair Trade Tours
- So Much More……
- ALSO: SWBA facilitates enjoyable employment (through a local business) for students looking for work to help pay for SWBA fees. Bursaries are also available for students who qualify.